Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Recent Projects

Laundry Soap
Here's the recipe I used:

Homemade liquid laundry soap
Ingredients:
4 cups hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 cup washing soda
½ cup Borax
*
-Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continuallyover medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.Fill a five-gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap,washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each
use. (Itwill gel.)
-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per two gallons.Add once soap has cooled.
-Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
(or 5 more concentrated...Emma's note)
-Top-load machine: 5/8 cupper load (approximately 180 loads).
-Front-load machine: ¼ cup per load(approx. 640 loads).

Emmalie's Side Note:
-When I made the soap I didn't have a 5-gallon tub so I just used 5, 1 Gallon containers...in this case Hawiian Punch containers. First split the melted soap between 2 containers (since it gels so fast in such a concentrated state) and filled with water and shook-up REALLY well. The kids had alot of fun helping roll them across the floor.
-I then split it up between the other 3 and filled all to the top with water. I just left the soap in these containers since they are easy enough to lift. The stuff works GREAT and it is so, so much cheaper!
-Also I added essential oils until the smell was strong enough for me. Some took more than 15 drops. I did each container a different scent so I could see what I like best.
-I have been using the soap for almost 2 months and just started my second scent...and I probablly put in more than I need.


*
*
Ribbon Picture Frame....the new craze to have for your little girls.

I think this is a brillant idea! The first time I saw it on another blog, I just had to do it right away. I absolutly LOVE how it turned out and Lydia's hair flowers and bows are FINALLY all in one place. This will be hung in Lydia's area of the bedroom when I am finished redecorating!

*
*
Purse Notebook

I made this for Laura for her 20th Birthday. It turned out so, so cute! I learned how to make them at Lindz's house last time we were in Idaho. Our husbands were gaming it up and we were crafting....what a perfect combo!


1 comment:

Shelli said...

Hi, Emmalie!

I love these purse notebooks! How clever are they? Yours turned out darling! Thanks for sharing such a cute idea. My girls would go nuts for notebooks like these.